Monday, August 18, 2014

Bulletin Board - Picture Book Word Maps

A patron recently turned me on to Wordle. The website lets you created "Word Maps" from text.  With a word map, the more frequently a word appears in a text, the larger it will be.  I was captivated!  

Because of that, the monthly bulletin board at our branch is a word map challenge.  I've taken the text from 13 beloved picture books and created word maps.  Can you figure out what these classic picture books are?

I had a young boy request this book EVERY storytime for at least 9 months.  How could I not include it?

 
 
This is one of my favorite books!  I've always longed to do it in a storytime without getting my tongue completely twisted. 
 
 
 
Fun Fact:  I really dislike this book. A LOT.  I think Max should not have gotten his dinner (or he should have apologized first for his behavior).  But it's a classic, so I included it. 
 
 
 
I can't read this book without tearing up.  The death of a grandparent can be tough and I think it's beautifully handled here. 
 

 
 
I love this version of this story.  Another fun fact:  The author used to be a librarian with my library system. 
 
 
 
This book is a modern classic and a great example of photography mixed with illustrations.  Both sequels were just as good, which can be tough to pull off.   
 
 
 
This is another title I really dislike.  I'm surprised by that because I love the author's books of poetry. 
 
 
 
Another great storytime book.  I love the message and the songs.  After storytime I frequently hear kids singing this on their way back to their preschools. 
 
 
 
Growing up, this was one of my favorite series because of the detailed watercolor illustrations. 
 
 
 
I love reading this to second graders through fourth graders.  The humor is so dry and incredibly funny. 
 
 
 
The collage work in this book is mind blowing.  I love this author/illustrator for his urban, city-based images. 
 
 
 
This book is iconic.  I visited the author's museum a few years ago and it was a great experience! 
 
 
 
I've had preschool teachers tell me that kids imitate me doing this story.  Apparently I do a memorable troll.  (Thank you?)
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment